All Things Berry–By Cherri (themes and more)

Cherri Chiodo themes and wallpapers (BlackBerry Pearl 8130 themesA unique theme or wallpaper expresses who you are or what you’re about. Having trouble finding one that fits you? Well, let me introduce you to an artist who defies a simple description: she’s Texas-born but a California hippie at heart, with flaming red hair and a temper to match, loves rock’n'roll and chihuahuas, rides dirt bikes and plays poker, a devoted mom and wife,…and did I mention: an incredibly talented artist. Let’s take a quick look at a sample of amazing work by Cherri Chiodo.

Cherri’s repertoire is so large that I can only show a small sample to give you an idea of the variety of her work. Most of her work is offered free with voluntary PayPal donation. Before you read further, let me encourage you to please donate something if you decide to keep a theme or wallpaper. Artists are special people in our society and we need to show our appreciation by supporting them. Below are links and samples of themes and wallpapers:

CherriChiodo.com (all artwork and more)

Premium BlackBerry Pearl 81xx Themes (samples below)

Free BlackBerry Pearl 81xx Featured Themes (samples below)

Free BlackBerry Pearl 81xx Color Themes (samples below)

Free BlackBerry Pearl 81xx Custom Icon Themes (samples below)

Free BlackBerry Pearl 81xx Girly Themes (samples below)

Free BlackBerry Pearl 81xx Miscellaneous Themes (samples below)

Free BlackBerry Pearl 81xx Music and TV Themes (samples below)

Free BlackBerry Pearl 81xx Music Themes (samples below)

Free BlackBerry Pearl 81xx Sports Themes (samples below)

Free BlackBerry Pearl 81xx Zodiac Themes (samples below)

Free BlackBerry Pearl 81xx Wallpapers (samples below)

Free BlackBerry-compatible Music Videos  (sample artists below)

Fergie, Seether, Linkin Park, TPain, Mary J. Blige, White Stripes, R Kelly, Snoop Dog, Akon, Kanye West, My Chemical Romance, Taylor Swift, Justin Timberlake, Chris Brown, Lil Mama, Paramore, Three Days Grace,…

Request a Custom Theme

Remember: Please donate (on Cherri’s site, not mine).

Related posts:

Jed says:
Apr 21, 2008 - 10:04:30

I still have the default theme, but I was impressed by the featured samples, so I’ll check out Cherri’s site. Also, what do you use to take screen shots of your pearl?

Apr 21, 2008 - 01:04:35

Jed,
I use BBScreenShooter of oppitronic.net or JL_Cmder (found here: http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-blackberry-discussion/18789-jl_cmder.html). JL_Cmder is a tiny download and comes with the JavaLoader.exe file you need. It’s a primitive program for more advanced users. BBScreenShooter is a larger download and you have to download a huge Java package to get JavaLoader.exe. So, I advise you download BBScreenShooter and JL_Cmder so you get the JavaLoader.exe easier and you can use either of the two programs.

Bull says:
Apr 23, 2008 - 07:04:43

Hiya Kelly!
I just mentioned your blog on BerryReview!

Apr 23, 2008 - 07:04:31

Bull,
I just read it–how very cool! You’re a great guy and have added a lot to this blog.

David says:
Apr 24, 2008 - 08:04:06

Berry Review is how I found out about this. I’m sure you’ll see some increased traffic from that site. Based on what I’ve seen so far in reading the last 34 entries, you’ll have a lot of folks stinking around once they get here.

Apr 24, 2008 - 11:04:35

thanks for the stellar review kelly! i am so humbled!! and to everyone who has visited my site! theme building has become a passion of mine and i am so happy to be able to share it with everyone in the blackberry community! you guys rock!

Apr 24, 2008 - 01:04:53

@David,
I hope you meant “sticking” around instead of “stinking.” :)

Apr 24, 2008 - 01:04:48

@cherri,
Thanks for providing us BlackBerry owners such cool themes!

P~Diddy says:
Apr 25, 2008 - 05:04:41

Love your site!! Keep up the great blog!!

Ryan says:
Apr 25, 2008 - 09:04:25

Hi Kelly;

I just wanted to let you know that I really like your BB Blog; I think you do a great job and I’ve learned a lot from reading this.

-Ryan

Apr 26, 2008 - 08:04:02

Ryan,
Thanks for the kind words. It’s always encouraging to hear that people are getting something worthwhile from my work.

kalihoney says:
Apr 27, 2008 - 02:04:10

Has anyone tried downloading one of these themes? I saved it to my desktop, but don’t know how to get it to my BB. Would be nice if I could transfer it OTA :) . . . also, music videos are AVI, how do you make them BB compatible? Thanks!

Apr 27, 2008 - 06:04:21

kalihoney,
Cherri Chiodo’s site offers two ways of downloading and installing her themes:

1. Download to your computer: a ZIP file. The ZIP file must be unzipped to extract two files: a .alx file and .cod file. You use the Desktop Manager’s Application Loader to load the .alx file. Actually, the .cod file is what gets installed, but you select the .alx file to get it started. [If you've never used the Application Loader, you'll likely run into a failure. I have an article about that: http://blackberry8130.wordpress.com/2007/12/31/blackberry-desktop-manager-wouldnt-install-applications/ ]. I recommend you use method 2 below.

2. Download to your phone: a .jad file. Use your phone’s browser to go to the web page where the theme is, for example, http://cherrichiodo.com/?page_id=26. After that page loads, scroll to the theme you want and click the link labeled “OTA link.”

Let me know how it works for you.

About AVI files: I’ve also had some not play. The specification reads that the Pearl will play “.avi containing MPEG4 Part 2 and H.263.” I’m guessing that if the AVI files doesn’t work, it’s an AVI file that does NOT contain the MPEG/H.263 stuff. I guess there are different kinds of AVI files. You will need to find a video converter program to convert it to something like .3gp or .mp4. Or you can try a free online converter like http://www.mediaconverter.org/.

Scott says:
Apr 28, 2008 - 07:04:34

@Kelly: Another awesome job at exposing us to some really terrific content! You are always doing your best not only for us Blackberry users in general, but all the fine folks like Cherri that have such great talent that bring it into the blackberry world!

@Cherri: Your work is awesome! Thanks for sharing, I hope to be able to get to your site soon, and check out things firsthand, but what Kelly has posted here looks incredible! Thanks again!

-Scott

Scott says:
Apr 28, 2008 - 08:04:45

@ kalihoney: I installed the media manager off of the CD I received with my Blackberry, and it has a great converter for vids of all types, provided you have the appropriate codecs installed. Did you get the media manager on your CD as well? (Roxio)

Other than that, they have quite a host of 3rd party “pay for” type apps that will convert as well, but with my tight budget, I stayed with the included media manager on my CD.

Hope that helps!

-Scott

Apr 28, 2008 - 12:04:34

Scott,
Thanks for sharing that advice with Kalihoney. I don’t know why I forgot that Roxio does conversions. I guess because I rarely use Roxio, as I already have a host of conversion tools I’ve been using for a few years.

Ari says:
Apr 29, 2008 - 09:04:45

I can’t find the OTA link for downloading the themes… am I missing something? Thanks for posting about these themes, they’re great!

Apr 29, 2008 - 11:04:02

Ari,
On Cherri’s sites, I think all the themes I’ve seen have a link labeled “OTA LINK”. However, to use that link you really need to browse that page using your PHONE, not your computer. An alternative is to type a very long, messy URL into your phone’s browser. It’s easier just to browse to the page with a shorter URL like http://cherrichiodo.com/?page_id=26.

Ari says:
Apr 29, 2008 - 01:04:45

Thanks, I think the problem is that not all the themes are available via the OTA Link (specifically the girly ones that I wanted, ha!). I guess I’ll have to download them through my computer.

Apr 29, 2008 - 08:04:07

@ Ari: if you see a theme that you like and it isn’t available OTA just drop me an email and I will make it OTA :D
The themes you see that aren’t available OTA were made prior to July 2007 (when I built out the site/switched hosts). I never bothered to re-export and host but I’d be more than happy to do it for select themes ;-)

-cherri

Amara says:
May 7, 2008 - 01:05:37

i got my blackberry yesterday and i am clueless about downloading the themes. i downloaded someone my computer, they are in zip file format. how do i move it to my bb and use them as my theme. please tell me.

May 10, 2008 - 05:05:54

@ Amara
you need to unzip the zip file (decompress), extract the files then use Desktop Manager (included on CD that came with BB) to install it :D Here is a link to instructions on my theme help forum:

-c

Patricia says:
May 16, 2008 - 05:05:22

Kelly:

I was wondering what your advice was about downloading themes or wall papers, etc…
I have read about the bugs, Is it just not a good thing if it isn’t from the company you bought the phone from?
I really like my Blackberry pearl and don’t want personalize it so much , I screw it up…

PB

May 16, 2008 - 06:05:19

Patricia,
Wallpapers are very safe. Themes are usually safe except they can be very large in size and fill up memory. I’m sure you can trust Cherri Chiodo’s and Matt Rogers’ themes. What I would advise is to try as many themes and wallpapers as you like, but delete the ones you’re not crazy about. You can always reinstall them later if you change your mind. Just don’t fill up your precious memory with themes and wallpapers you don’t really use.

You are smart to ask that question. Personalizing your phone is obviously something that many people LOVE to do, so have FUN with your phone.

Stay in touch!

Mel says:
Jul 4, 2008 - 02:07:37

I dont understand how to put themes on my blackberry. I have the 8130 pearl from telus and everytime I try to put a theme onto my phone through my computer it downloads the theme into something called winRAR (evaluation copy) and from there I dont understand how to put them on my BB help please its driving me nuts.. is there anyway to put the files right onto my BB without using the BB browers.. I dont have free browers and Telus chanrges so much for internet

Jul 6, 2008 - 06:07:54

Mel,
There are two basic methods of downloading themes: over-the-air (OTA) downloads, and Desktop Manager’s Application Loader. Some themes offer both methods, some offer only one. OTA downloads require you to browse to the theme site with you phone and click the OTA link. It downloads straight into your phone and installs automatically. It’s the easiest method. The other method requires you browse to the theme site with your computer and download a file–usually a “ZIP” (compressed file or files) file onto your computer. The ZIP file must be “unzipped” (uncompressed into one or several files). WinRAR is a file often used to unzip files.

Sounds like you have a trial version of WinRAR that attempted to unzip the ZIP download. Not sure if it successed or not from your message. The next step would be for you to connect your phone to your computer, run Desktop Manager (if you have it installed!!!), and run the Application Loader to install the downloaded file. You select the unzipped file with a .alx extension.

Now, I must warn you about a huge problem most of us have encountered. Your first time using Desktop Manager’s Application Loader may be problematic. Please scan or read this article: http://blackberry8130.wordpress.com/2007/12/31/blackberry-desktop-manager-wouldnt-install-applications/.

So, if you can find a theme with OTA download, that’s what you should try.

Mary Beth says:
Apr 10, 2009 - 03:04:15

Can someone PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make a Paramore theme, they are a band….. PLEASE I HAVE SEARCHED EVERY WHERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Apr 10, 2009 - 04:04:45

Mary Beth,
I’ll pass on the request to a theme designer (I know two excellent ones). I need to know which model BlackBerry you have. I’m a Paramore fan, too. I have tix to see them in June, they’re the warm-up band for No Doubt (Gwen Stefani). Hayley has such an incredible voice, doesn’t she? And I love what she does with her hair. Check back with me in a few days and I’ll let you know what I find out.

P.S.–I can make you Paramore wallpapers easy enough. If you have some favorite images (findable on Google), tell me which ones you like. I would need to know which model BB you have to size them right. Also, I can make a ringtone if you tell me which part of a song you would want as a ringtone. But I can’t make an entire theme–don’t know how (yet).

Mary Beth says:
Apr 10, 2009 - 05:04:38

Well, I have a Black Berry Pearl Smart phone
And I could give you a link to what I would like the background to be…
I don’t care what one
This one – http://media.photobucket.com/image/paramore/FindStuff2/Music/Paramore/Paramore-band-fr03.jpg?o=3

Or this for a background- http://media.photobucket.com/image/paramore/findstuff22/Best%20Images/Music/Adjusted%20Music/paramore-3-1.jpg?o=1

Or you could put one for the background and the other for the screen lock

BUT, I would like this for the second BlackBerry screen- http://media.photobucket.com/image/paramore/JonasFanOXOX/paramore4.jpg?o=26

thanks… icons won’t matter

Mary Beth says:
Apr 10, 2009 - 07:04:07

Oh yea, just get the theme in when u r able.

Mary Beth says:
Apr 17, 2009 - 11:04:39

the Wall papers are great…

Apr 19, 2009 - 06:04:31

Mary Beth,
Glad you liked them.

Mary Beth says:
May 21, 2009 - 01:05:13

Have you passed the request on to the designer? I have been waiting for awhile now.

Mary Beth says:
May 24, 2009 - 01:05:46

I relize it might take awhile , so I will wait :)