Tips & Tricks: Set Phone to Ring, Vibrate, Flash LED – Part 1

BlackBerry Pearl 8130 Tips and Tricks - Ring, Vibrate, Flashing LEDBlackBerry Pearl 8130 Tips and Tricks - Ring, Vibrate, LEDBefore you got a BlackBerry, it was so simple to set ring or vibrate options, even a kid could do it. But now…it seems like you need, well, … a web site to explain how to control the bewildering array of “notification profile” settings. In a 3-part tutorial, we’ll learn (1) basic ring settings, (2) more elaborate settings found only on smartphones, and (3) advanced settings. You can choose how far to go depending on what makes you happy.

PART 1, THE BASICS

The majority of Pearl owners are concerned with just basic control of ringing:

• How to switch between ringing and vibrating
  • How to change ringtones
  • How to select different ringtones for special callers
  • How to set different ringtones for calls versus text messages

Profiles

On a BlackBerry, the place where you set ringing, vibrating, LED flashing, etc. is called a Profile. Actually, it’s called a Notification Profile since ringing, vibrating, and LED flashing notify you of some event that needs your attention.BlackBerry Pearl 8130 notification profiles (ringing, vibrating) To access these settings, you use the Profiles icon normally found on your Home Screen, as shown in the screenshot to the left.

At the simplest level, you may want one profile for ringing and another profile for vibrating. Let’s say you start with a profile that will ring loudly so that you can hear the phone ringing at a distance when you’re not carrying the phone. Any profile you have selected is called the Active profile. Since it is so common to need to switch quickly between an active profile and a vibrating profile, a shortcut has been provided: the # key.

Practice this now: Pressing and holding the # key swaps your phone between the active (normally a ringing) profile and the vibrating profile.

NOTE: If your active profile is not a ringing profile, you’ll want to click the Profiles icon and click either the Normal or Loud profile. Then, pressing and holding the # key will perform as described above.

The Default Ringtone

Let’s say you have one ringtone that is your absolute favorite, and you want that ringtone used every time your phone rings. Or at least that’s where you want to start, with an option to change it for special purposes. Do Profiles > (scroll to bottom of screen) > Advanced… > (press Menu key) > Show Ring Tones.

BlackBerry Pearl 8130 ringtonesAt that point you can open a folder that contains ringtones. After clicking Show Ring Tones, give your phone time to scan its memory to find all files that could be used as ringtones. This could take a minute or so. When exploring for a ringtone, you’ll likely find files like these:

• Alarm_?????: Tone intended as an alarm, not necessarily a ring
  • Notifier_?????: Tone intended as a notification for messages, events, etc., not a ring
  • Ringer_?????: Tone intended as a ring (more traditional ringing sound)
  • Tune_?????: Tone intended as a ring (musical ringing sound)
  • ?????.mp3: Your own music/audio file that might work as a ringtone

You probably will want to play the ringtones before you choose one. In the folder of ringtones, do (press Menu key) > Play. The Media Player will open and play the ringtone.

BlackBerry Pearl 8130 play ringtone

BlackBerry Pearl 8130 play ringtone in media player

BlackBerry Pearl 8130 notification profile Set as Ring Tone

Once you’ve found the ringtone you want as your default ringtone, do (press Menu key) > Set As Ring Tone.

Custom Ringtones

So, now you have your phone ringing with the tone/tune you want, but you can’t tell friend from foe (so to speak). Let’s see how you set a custom ringtone for a special person. In your Address Book, find the contact you want to set a special ringtone for. Edit that contact. Do (press Menu key) > Add Custom Ring Tone.

BlackBerry Pearl 8130, Set custom ring tone

BlackBerry Pearl 8130, add custom ring tone

At the bottom of the contact settings, a Custom Ring Tone setting will appear with some ringtone already highlighted. Click the trackball to expand that highlight to a long list of available ringtones to choose from. Scroll till you find the one you want, select it, and save your contact settings.

BlackBerry Pearl 8130, custom ringtone

BlackBerry Pearl 8130, custom ringtone for contact

Phone Calls vs. Text Messages

Finally, most of us want to distinguish between a phone call and a text message. Plus, we want to choose what kind of sound indicates a text message (also known as SMS–for Short Message Service). First, you need to choose–if you haven’t already–which Notification Profile you’re usually going to use. It’s probably either Normal or Loud; let’s assume Normal for the moment.

From the Home Screen, open Profiles. Scroll to the bottom of the screen and click Advanced…  Scroll to the Normal profile, press the Menu key, and select Edit. Scroll to SMS Text and click. On the resulting BlackBerry Pearl 8130 holsterscreen you will see a number of settings: half for “in holster,” and half for “out of holster.” Just in case you don’t know what that’s about, we better take a moment to explain.

Most Pearl holsters have an embedded magnet that tells the phone whether it is inserted into the holster. The “in holster” signal from the magnet tells the Pearl to shut off its backlighting (to save battery charge) and to ring differently (according to settings in the active profile). For example, when your phone is in its holster (possibly in your pocket at the time), you may want it to not only ring, but vibrate at the same time to make sure it gets your attention. When the phone is out of the holster (possibly while you’re in a meeting), you may want the phone to vibrate twice before ringing to give you a change to either send the call to voicemail or beg forgiveness to answer it. [I have to believe all these complexities are necessary for hot-shot executives.]

Below are the screens where you edit the profile settings for text messages. For either Out of Holster or In Holster modes, you can choose between a tone, vibration or both; a particular tone/sound; the volume; the number of “beeps” (rings, alerts); whether you want LED flashing; and if vibrations are used, how many times to vibrate.

BlackBerry Pearl 8130 notification for SMS text message

BlackBerry Pearl 8130 set ringtone for text message

Conclusion

OK, after that last section, you may have forgotten that this is only part 1 of 3 in how to configure your Pearl for ringing–excuse me, “notifications.” You may be happy to know this much and not care to move on. That’s your choice. But for those who just can’t get enough, here’s what’s in store for parts 2 and 3:

• Besides calls and text messages, what else can I be notified of? (email, calendar events, tasks due,…)
  • What kinds of profiles are built in? (Loud, Normal, Vibrate, Quiet, Phone Only Off)
  • Can I create my own custom profiles? (yes)
  • Can I get, or prevent, notifications while I’m actively on a call? (yes and yes)
  • Can I set my phone to ”Do Not Disturb?” (yes)
  • Can I set my phone to make exceptions for family, special friends, important business contacts? (yes)

Related posts:

Rob says:
May 25, 2008 - 02:05:10

Hey, I’ve found that when I set a custom ringtone to an address book entry, I cannot remove it. Anyone else experience this, or have a solution? My work around is to then set the ringtone for that user to the same as my “Normal” profile ringtone.

May 25, 2008 - 05:05:10

Rob,
Edit that contact. Scroll to the custom ringtone for that contact. Press Menu key. Select Delete Field. The ringtone is gone!

dan says:
May 27, 2008 - 01:05:43

thank you soo much! this has been driving me crazy

May 27, 2008 - 08:05:29

dan,
I know–this aspect of the BlackBerry is way too complicated.

Leigh in Jersey says:
May 28, 2008 - 01:05:22

Glad to see you’ve got the phone right side out in the holster… I’ve seen a lot of sites online advertising that holster that picture it with the screen facing away from the “notched” side! To be fair, it took me a day or so to realize that the notch lets you slide in your Blackberry without the trackball getting pressed down. :P

My first mod: I use my Pearl as a portable music player and I found it especially annoying that it wouldn’t fit in the holster with headphones plugged in. So I took a pair of scissors and carefully removed the stitching from the top inch of the left side of the holster. Then I used a needle and thread to reinforce the end of the seam to keep it from unraveling. Now the holster has a little “fly” at the top to make the headphone jack available, and the Pearl fits all the way in the holster even when the headphones are plugged in–something you think RIM would have figured out how to do from the beginning!

Next up: Finding a holster that fits my Pearl without having to remove the silicone skin….

May 28, 2008 - 05:05:50

Leigh,
I actually figured that out after I bought a different case and the trackball kept getting clicked by mistake. Then I figured out the slot/notch thing in the holster was a channel for the trackball. Later I read about the holster having a magnet.

Clever modification to your holster–very smart!

I actually slide my holster into a separate case that has a swiveling clip because I like to clip it to my belt. Works OK.

Always appreciate your comments. I figure you’re one of my brightest readers.

Janet says:
May 30, 2008 - 10:05:01

Hey girl i have a question… I purchased the same phone pearl it’s soooo pretty pink!!! but any hoooo… I purchased the ball LED… light ball disco… so, when somebody calls me it can change colors… for some reason it’s not working on my phone…??? is there any way you can help me with this :(

janet

May 30, 2008 - 11:05:25

Janet,
The 8130 trackball has only a white LED behind it, so it cannot change colors like the 8100. Sorry.

Robb says:
Jun 5, 2008 - 10:06:06

I know how to set a custom ring tone for a contact. But can that custom tone work for SMS from that contact?

Robb

Jun 5, 2008 - 01:06:57

Robb,
Yes, there is a way, but it’s not a method you’d want to do for a lot of contacts. You can create a new profile just for that contact. In that profile, you’d choose the customization for phone, SMS text, etc. Then you’d create an exception (see Part 3 of this series) for that contact, and set the exception to use that profile. Complicated, huh? Let me know how it works out for you.

Brett says:
Jun 13, 2008 - 09:06:57

All I’m trying to do right now is make my “Loud” profile ring and vibrate for all my calls. I thought I had it working for a minute, but it won’t seem to reset now. It still vibrates twice (or 3 times if I have that selected) and THEN it rings. I’m following your steps (atleast I believe I am) to the tee, but I can’t seem to get the phone to ring/vibrate at the same time. I’ve gone to advance/loud/edit and selected ring + vibrate. I’m just using stock ringtones.

Brett

Brett says:
Jun 13, 2008 - 09:06:54

*edit*

I ended that by saying I “selected ring + vibrate”. I now realize that I’m selecting “vibrate + tone” which is making it vibrate then ring.

Is there a way to make it ring/vibrate at the same time?

Brett

Jun 13, 2008 - 10:06:37

Brett,
I now know that a BlackBerry will NOT both vibrate and ring at the same time.

Tablet says:
Jun 20, 2008 - 08:06:25

Somehow i missed the point. Probably lost in translation :) Anyway … nice blog to visit.

cheers, Tablet

D says:
Jun 24, 2008 - 03:06:49

I am using BlackberryAlerts. How do I completely shut off the led alert for each profile (phone only, quiet etc..) but allow it for other ones? I have tried to select “None” for in holster and out for notifications and LED, but nothing seems to work.

Thanks.

D says:
Jun 24, 2008 - 04:06:01

Also, why doesn’t the email alert LED on the Blackberry turn off once I check the email on my computer. It appears I have to check the Blackberry anyway, even after i opened the email on the computer.

Thanks again.

Jun 24, 2008 - 04:06:46

D,
I’ve never tried “None” for the “Repeat Notifications” but I thought it would work to keep the LED from flashing. If that really doesn’t work, I don’t know of any other way to shut off the LED in a ring profile.

BTW–I don’t know much about BlackBerry Alerts other than it’s been highly recommended.

About the LED still flashing on your phone after you’ve read email on the computer…do you have email reconciliation set up? If so, the LED should stop as soon as the phone and email account reconcile. If you’re not reconciling, you will have to read the email on the phone to shut off the LED (as you know).

D says:
Jun 25, 2008 - 09:06:34

Thanks again Kelly

amy says:
Jun 25, 2008 - 03:06:01

Why when I assign a tone to a contact is it so soft that I cannot hear it?

Jun 25, 2008 - 09:06:17

amy,
Even at the highest volume, the Pearl is not very loud. I think it’s because RIM discovered that their speaker(s) distort at a higher volume, and they didn’t want owners to ever hear distorted music. But that meant ringtones wouldn’t be very loud, either.

Make sure when you choose a ringtone in your profile(s), choose the highest volume setting. I’ll bet you have it set at medium or low.

Janique says:
Jul 2, 2008 - 12:07:12

Can you please tell me how to follow a link from my sms text message to get a ringtone that was sent to my phone.
Thanks

Jul 2, 2008 - 07:07:32

Janique,
I’ve always just clicked on it and it took me to my browser to complete the download. When you click on it, is nothing happening at all?

Ross says:
Jul 2, 2008 - 03:07:56

Is there a way to set the alert for a voicemail different from a text?, I was happy to find out it does alert for voicemails, but I never set a custom tone for it, the tone is the custom I use for txt messages and I dont’ see anywhere to set it just for a voicemail alert.

Jul 2, 2008 - 05:07:13

Ross,
For whatever reason, voicemail alerts are tied to SMS (text message) alerts, and they can’t be set separately. There are 3rd-party programs like BlackBerry Alerts that might do that.

Robbie says:
Jul 6, 2008 - 01:07:25

I want to set a custom tone for text messages from all of my contacts. How do you do this?

Jul 6, 2008 - 07:07:03

Robbie,
It’s explained in my tutorial series on setting rings. Pick your usual profile, like Normal or Loud. Edit the SMS Text settings to use the tone you want. Again, for details, please scan or read all three parts of my tutorial till you find that info.

Carel says:
Jul 11, 2008 - 01:07:01

Is there a way to increase the length of time that the phone rings? I have a custom ringtone and it’s 24 seconds long. But the phone stops ringing after about 15 seconds. Really frustrating.

thanks
Carel

Jul 11, 2008 - 06:07:10

Carel,
I don’t think there is any way to change that. I have one ringtone that is 19 seconds long. It will play the full 19 seconds, but shortly after it ends, the call is deemed “missed.”

To answer a different but related question: I was told that your wireless carrier is in control of how many rings (or the equivalent length of time) before an unanswered call is ended (or goes to voicemail). I know you can’t change that within the phone. I was instructed to call my carrier’s customer support and ask for “extended ringing.” Well, I did that, and my carrier, Verizon, said they don’t offer that option and that the number of rings cannot be changed.

You might be able to get a little more of your ringtone to play if you cut back on the number of vibrations before it starts ringing, if you have vibration set.

Don says:
Sep 24, 2008 - 10:09:01

Thank you so much for providing information to those of us which need it! I discovered most of the settings on my Blackberry just by fooling around with it myself, but you answered a lot of questions that were about to drive me insane if unanswered. Once again, I thank you.
-Don

BB FAN says:
Sep 30, 2008 - 08:09:40

how can i make the led flash when I receive a missed call? Is there something I can install

Oct 1, 2008 - 09:10:06

BB FAN,
Not sure there’s a way to do that without some special software. I hear BlackBerry Alerts is possibly the best for that kind of thing, but I can’t say from firsthand experience.

jj says:
Oct 4, 2008 - 08:10:51

how can i set individual ring tones messages. like one for my friend then one for my other friend not just for the phone because its only let in me do one

jj says:
Oct 4, 2008 - 08:10:12

and is there any way i can recode on my blackberry like video

Oct 5, 2008 - 11:10:54

JJ,
Not sure precisely what you’re asking, or wanting to do. But you should be able to set a different custom ring tone for each of your friends. Perhaps you’re wanting a different sound for each friend–no matter if it’s a phone call, text message, or other. If so, no, I don’t think you can do that. You can set a custom ringtone for phone calls for each friend. But not for text messages, etc. Does that answer your question?

Oct 5, 2008 - 11:10:08

JJ,
I don’t know what you mean by “recode” for a video. If you want to change the video file format, or resize it to fit the screen better, or something like that, you need to do that using special software on your computer. Can’t do that on the phone itself.

jj says:
Oct 5, 2008 - 12:10:29

thanks so if i want video recorder on my phone what do i download? because i only have a camera and cant recoded

Oct 5, 2008 - 06:10:59

JJ,
OK, now I understand–you want to record video (I didn’t figure out your spelling before). Which BlackBerry model do you have? The newer models like Pearl and Curve have video cameras, not just still-photo cameras. You shouldn’t need to download anything at all. You should have two icons, one for camera and one for videocam. If you don’t think you do, tell me for sure which model you have. Do Options > About, and tell me the model and version number it tells you.

jj says:
Oct 5, 2008 - 08:10:39

8320 v4.2.2.180

Oct 6, 2008 - 09:10:26

JJ,
I’m sorry, but the Curve 8320 does NOT offer video recording. Out of the 4 Curve models, only the Curve 8330–the model I own–includes video recording. I wasn’t aware of that until I did the research. So, unfortunately, there’s nothing you can do to make your Curve 8320 record video. Sorry.

Lex says:
Oct 13, 2008 - 05:10:15

Well Mr. Carter, I will have to disagree with you in that last point. I own an 8320, from T-Mobile, and I just upgraded my OS from v4.2 to v4.5. The new OS has video recording capability. Blackberry released v4.5 months ago, but I just recently upgraded after doing some thorough research. The current build that I have is v4.5.0.81 and I am more than happy with the results. On T-Mobile’s website, they do not show updated device software, but I was able to track down a download from Rogers Wireless. The only thing I had to do to allow the other software to run was to delete the vendor.xml file from the source folder and Voila! Updated BBmaps, video recorder, streaming video capabiliy, updated web browser and a few other small things that have been tweaked. Now for the real reason why I found this post. As happy a I am with my new OS, it seems that my ringer/alerts volume level is limited. It seems that I only have low and medium. My high setting sounds the same as my medium setting. I have tried numerous other forums to no avail. A friend told me that you would be my best chance at finding a resolution to this problem. Any thoughts?

Oct 13, 2008 - 08:10:11

Lex,
Thanks for correcting me that, at least with a new OS version, the 8320 can do video recording. So, it’s true that older OSes can’t do video recording, but version 4.5 can. That’s great to know, and I appreciate you sharing that with readers.

I don’t have any info on the ringer volume problem. It could be a software bug. Or I could speculate wildly that the high volume was reduced for legal reasons–it may have been loud enough to damage someone’s ear if the phone happened to ring when the owner had the phone up to his/her ear. I’ve seen warnings on cordless phones about that kind of hazard. I really don’t know. The Pearl seems to have a notoriously low ringer volume. To get a louder ringtone, I made some custom ringtones that, for whatever reason, have pitches that come through louder than the standard ringtones. But most of them sound ridiculous, even if louder.

Thanks for the info.

Lex says:
Oct 13, 2008 - 10:10:33

That’s a shame. I work in a noisey enviroment where I would like to hear my ringer in addition to the vibrate alert. That was one of the reasons I purchased the Curve, the ridiculously loud ringer. But now I am torn between hearing my phone ring or having the added amenities of my new OS. Well, thanks for your input. I’ll keep searching for an answer, or an OS that has a louder “high” ring.

Sal says:
Oct 14, 2008 - 10:10:43

I just picked up a Blackberry Curve and was surprised to find that the ringer alternates between a vibrate and a ring. I’m on “Normal” profile but can’t figure out how to get it to simply ring without alternating between ring and vibrate. Any ideas?

Oct 15, 2008 - 02:10:57

Sal,
If I set a profile to Vibrate+Tone, and Number of Vibrations=1, I get one vibration then 3 rings, then it starts the cycle over. But before the second cycle completes, the call goes to voicemail. I’m guessing that’s normal; I don’t know how to stop it from doing that.

Pedro says:
Oct 29, 2008 - 02:10:28

i have a blackberry curve 8330. when im on the phone and i get a text there is no alert to let me know. is there a setting i can change to make it beep or vibrate to let me know? thanks

Oct 31, 2008 - 05:10:39

Pedro,
Yes, there is a setting to let you do that. Do Profiles > Advanced > (scroll over the profile you want to affect) > (press Menu key) > Edit. Scroll down to SMS Text and click. Scroll down to bottom of screen and find the setting for “Notify Me During Calls” which can be set to Yes or No.

This setting also exists for Tasks and Calendar, but not for Email or Messenger.

jimbomel says:
Nov 2, 2008 - 09:11:49

Hi people,

I am new to this forum newbbie.com and hope that somebody can
give me an advice on the forex – I am looking for an introduction
for beginners. I have already a little knowledge about shares. (Hope this is the right category.)

Any help is so much appreciated. Most important question: can a noob make money on the forex?

Jim

Nov 3, 2008 - 02:11:41

Jimbomel,
Are asking about using a BlackBerry phone to do FX trading? If so, that’s a little off-topic for this site. We do help “newBBies” with BlackBerry phone questions. If you want to use a particular BB app for trading, let me/us know the name of the application and we can see if anyone can help with that.

jackie says:
Nov 8, 2008 - 05:11:54

I have a 8320 blackberry curve and i tried assigning individual text tones for one contact and it doesnt work. is there any way i can do that?

Nov 8, 2008 - 07:11:01

Jackie,
Are you asking if a custom ring tone can be set for text (SMS) messages for individual contacts? No, you can’t! Unfortunately, you can only set a custom ring tone for phone calls.

The next best thing you can do is very complicated. You can define an Exception (explained in this 3-part series) for contacts who you want all to have a special tone for text messages. Add all those contacts to that exception. For that exception, define a custom tone for SMS messages. Activate that exception. Like I said, that’s a lot of work, is complicated, and may not satisfy you. But that’s the best idea I have.

jackie says:
Nov 13, 2008 - 01:11:09

Yes that’s correct, that’s what I am asking. I have tried all the steps in Part 3, but it still wont work correct, I have made the exceptions as well. Any idea on why my exceptions are not being recognized or why its not working correctly?
thank you.

Nov 13, 2008 - 07:11:51

Jackie,
So, you tried it the way I recommended above and it doesn’t behave as expected?

Well, first I’d recommend something that borders on superstition, but it’s a good trick to try when all else fails: Pull the battery to reset the phone: with power on, remove battery, wait several seconds, replace the battery, and wait for phone to recover. I doubt that is necessary, but any time your phone behaves “strangely,” it’s worth resetting the phone back to “normal” just to be sure.

Now, go back and double-check all your settings:
1. Is your “active” profile set with the ring tones, etc., that you want for everyone EXCEPT the contact(s) that is “special?”
2. Is your profile for “special” contact(s) set with the correct ring tones, etc.?
3. Does your Exception include the right contact(s)?
4. Does your Exception have the correct (special) ring tones, etc. set correctly?
5. Is the Exception selected (the checkbox has been selected)?

Now, with your “normal” profile set as Active, get your special contact to phone you, text you, etc. and see if the Exception gets triggered. It really should if you truly have all the above settings correct.

Oh, make sure your contact is calling/texting from a phone number that is included in that contact’s profile of the Address Book. I have had corporate callers phone me and their caller ID was some “other” number than their direct dial-in number.

Let me know if you get this worked out.

jackie says:
Nov 14, 2008 - 01:11:41

I have done all the things stated, and I got it to work but not 100% correct.I have set up the exeptions and new profiles for my brother and it works correctly. But when I try to do it to another contact it doesnt work, i have the contact number set up with a + sign infront of the number since thats how it should up on my caller id the first time my friend dialed me, since its a long distance number. Could that be the problem that I have to take the + sign? and just safe the contact number with a 1 instead?

Yes the contacts are calling me and texting me from the same number the only difference is the contact with the + sign nor sure if that would make a difference or not.
thank you.

jackie says:
Nov 14, 2008 - 01:11:33

I have tried it without the + and it doesnt work correctly still. Do they have to be from the same service provider in order to work correct?

Nov 14, 2008 - 03:11:18

Jackie,
The plus sign in a number is for international calling, not ordinary long distance. If your contacts do not have an international number (from your phone’s perspective), don’t include it.

Contacts shouldn’t need to be of the same service provider for your profile to work correctly.

jackie says:
Nov 15, 2008 - 01:11:13

okay I have deleted the + sign, I have my favorite fives from t-mobile and i cant get any of my favorite five contacts to work with the exeptions, any idea why?
Thank you very much for all the help.

Nov 15, 2008 - 09:11:17

Jackie,
First, I admire your perseverance sticking with this problem. Most would have given up by now. So, I’ll stick with you as long as we think we can make progress.

I’m intrigued by your revelation to me that the contacts that don’t work are your T-Mobile “Favorite Fives.” As time-consuming as it probably would be, here is what I’d be tempted to do:

1. Delete all the special settings, profiles, etc. that I’ve been working so hard on. (Well, they don’t work anyway, right?!) Start fresh with new stuff.
2. Choose on contact who is NOT a T-Mobile Favorite Five. Try to get an exception working with that contact. (I hope your friends are patient with you doing experiments with your phone.)
3. If you can get that contact working, delete her/him from the exception list and replace her/him with a T-Mobile Favorite Five contact. See if it works or not.

Please let me know if you try this and what happens.

jackie says:
Nov 18, 2008 - 08:11:14

Thank you. I have found this problem with the ringtones interesting because I have never had such a problem before.

I have tried the suggestion above and it did not work, it works well for any other contacts but not for T-Mobile Favorite Five Contacts.
Any suggestion?

Thank you for your time.

Nov 19, 2008 - 10:11:26

Jackie,
OK, here is a kind of trick that has worked for me in a number of computer-related anomalies over the years: Delete one of your Fav Five contacts, then completely re-enter it (carefully). See if it now works with an exception. I know this is a big stretch, but honestly I’ve seen this trick work in many cases where something got entered not-just-right but looked perfect on the surface.

If that doesn’t work, I have to assume T-Mobile is playing some game with how they pass caller ID info for a Fav Five contact (different from ordinary contacts). And it’s not compatible with the BB for some reason.

Reza says:
Nov 23, 2008 - 10:11:59

I have a World Edition 8830. I would like to have custom rings for a few people (which I have set up), but the problem is that when I put the phone into Vibrate mode, those people still ring through with an audible tone, which is a problem in meetings and quiet places. Is there a way to set up custom rings, but have the Vibrate profile superceded all the exceptions?

Nov 23, 2008 - 11:11:22

Reza,
If you set up your special people to have custom rings on a per-person basis, then the vibrate mode should NOT be superceded. However, if you set them up as an exception, then that exception WILL supercede the vibrate mode–unless you deactivate that exception.

Here’s a trick I use. I set all my profiles and exceptions to use vibration, not ringing, if my phone is in its sleeve. I don’t need to change profiles before I go into a meeting, I just keep my phone in its sleeve. I don’t mind if the phone vibrates during a meeting, but I never want it to ring there. If I’m in a meeting where I actually want to be interrupted, I just remove the phone from its sleeve.

There are numerous ways to achieve what you’re wanting to do. You just have to set the profiles up correctly. If my explanations above don’t help, please return and let me know.

jackie says:
Nov 24, 2008 - 12:11:59

I have tried the recommened option, and it still wont recognise any of the Fav-Five Contacts as an exeption.

I have seen also, that my cell phone is set, to set each number automatically with a + sign.

marrukh says:
Nov 28, 2008 - 04:11:18

This really helped us …Thanks mate!!!!! yea for some wide screen wallpaper check this http://www.vistafeel.com

jackie says:
Dec 11, 2008 - 10:12:36

I was wondering if the Blackberry curve comes with a GPS system, and if it doesn is there any way to get it on there?

Dec 12, 2008 - 07:12:19

Jackie,
I think all versions of the Curve have a built-in GPS, however until recently, Verizon customers had their internal GPS disabled and couldn’t use it without paying Verizon $10/month extra. Just a few days ago, Verizon BlackBerry owners found their internal GPS units mysteriously “unlocked” and nobody knows why. It was either an accidental or intentional result of upgrading to OS version 4.5, I think. Verizon may not let that continue.

I have an article here: http://newbbie.com/2008/04/05/review-globalsat-bt-359-gps/ that explains (1) how I used an external GPS unit with my Pearl, and (2) how I used Google Maps (free, but must be downloaded from Google) and BlackBerry Maps (comes with your BlackBerry) with it.

Do Options > Advanced Options > GPS. You should see that you can setup your GPS there.

There are lots of free or inexpensive GPS apps for use with the BlackBerry. If you google for “BlackBerry GPS” you’ll even find web sites dedicated to the subject.

Let me know if that doesn’t get you going with GPS. It’s a very cool capability to have and know how to use.

Phyllis says:
Dec 24, 2008 - 01:12:23

All my assigned ringtones, except from my home phone, have stopped working. I have my profile set to loud as I always have. The ringtones work when I play them, so that’s not it. I re-saved the tones in the address book for each one, didn’t help. I even looked under advanced in the profile section. Thanks!

Dec 25, 2008 - 06:12:45

Phyllis,
Any time a BlackBerry starts acting “strangely,” do a battery pull (reboot/reset) first: remove the battery, wait a while, replace the battery, and wait for it to recover. See if the strange behavior has gone away.

If the battery pull doesn’t work…

* Could your phone be in a silent mode (Notification Profile) somehow? Perhaps your home phone is set up as an exception that is circumventing the silent mode.
* Could you have set your volume for the ringing too low? (I don’t see how it could be that.)
* Try assigning the same ringtone used by your home phone to some other number, and get that person to call you. Is there something special about that ringtone, or how your home phone profile is set up?

Please let me know if the above helps or not.

jackie says:
Feb 18, 2009 - 12:02:06

hi,
I have a blackberry curve 8320. is there a way to set a screen saver?

thanks

Feb 18, 2009 - 08:02:23

jackie,
You can set a wallpaper but not a screen saver. To set a wallpaper, go into Media and browse your photos/pictures. If you find one you like, press Menu key and choose “Set as Home Screen Image.”

Debbie says:
May 18, 2009 - 01:05:28

Is there a way to assign a tone to the Blackberry Messenger feature for the Pearl 8130 for incoming messages? Mine is silent, and I’ve noticed that the tone isn’t tied to SMS texting.

Thank you.

jackie says:
Jun 28, 2009 - 07:06:38

Hi ,
How many themes can i have save on my blackberry curve for it to act normal? I have heard that too many themes saved can make the phone crash or work slower.
Jackie

jackie says:
Jun 28, 2009 - 08:06:28

Hi, Yes it did help me. I did check the status of file free and it says 8150458 bytes, is that normal? what should a normal blackberry curve be running under?
and is there a way i can save themes to my micro sd card ?

Tessa Moore says:
Sep 8, 2009 - 11:09:08

My Curve 8330 will go into a voice command scanning phone book screen and get stuck at 0%. The only way to get out of that screen is to turn the phone off. Is there a way that I can disable all voice commands. They are driving me nuts!

Thanks

sage says:
Sep 21, 2009 - 03:09:59

My custome ringtone is very very low. how do i change it so that i can actually hear it when someone calls?